Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Importance of Good Puppy Training

I have to say that I do enjoy having house guests.

However, don't mistake a house guest as someone who cares about your furniture or as a responsible puppy sitter!

The story goes back over 2 years now. We had a fellow over visiting for a few weeks. One day he was asked if he could watch the pup (who was about 4 months old and 50 lbs at the time). Long story short - he didn't. She ate my couch!

It was a matter of minutes and the damage was signifigant. Not a big deal if it's an old rickety couch but this was my NEW leather couch. Ouch!

Check it out...




Check out a great way to train you dog and SAVE YOUR COUCH!

UPDATE: In hindsight I suppose I shouldn't have left a puppy in the care of a guy who wasn't paying much attention. Needless to say I still have the old couch which is now covered with a bit of black tape :(

My Bullmastiff has come a long way though. Since this incident nothing has been destroyed. Namely because we called in Barkbusters. They are a global dog training company and they literally changed my dogs behaviour in one session. It was amazing to see the results. Basically the principle is simple. Be the pack leader. Use proper voice enunciation and tone and be consistent ALWAYS.

The going rate is about 500 dollars CDN for the lifetime of your dog. This may seem steep but when compared to the cost of the furniture, liability of dog bites and just the stress of having a crazy wild dog - it's well worth it. If you can't or don't want to spend that amount check out this guide which is very reasonable comparatively and offers the same training that you can do on your own.

1 comment:

Vince Stead said...

I really like your blog. My name is Vince Stead, and I wrote a book about a big giant Mastiff, called "Sammy the Runaway Mastiff, you can get it at regular book price, and also as a digital download for only $2.99! You can get it at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and here is a like to it:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sammy-the-Runaway-Mastiff/Vince-Stead/e/2940011819209/?itm=1&USRI=vince+stead